05 November 2010

Late Autumn?

Cold weather showed up so I tore up the garden remains to see what I could salvage. I ended up canning about 12 jars of tomato sauce, 8 jars of salsa, 3 bags of dried tomatoes & 2 bags of frozen jalapeños, as well as eating as much okra, zucchini & yellow squash as I could keep up with.

The crop is unfortunately only unripened tomatoes.

XVelo #002 is hanging tough in the midst of its long-term clydesdale testing. It's been a fun bit of trial & error getting it set up just right, which is helping to give me a good idea of dos/don'ts for when I get my frame built. Despite its little intricacies, I have it pretty dialed in: I can completely attach or detach the fenders in under 5 minutes, or I can pull the rear tire in case of a flat or gear swap quite painlessly as well. The PlanetBike Hardcore fenders are OK, but wondering if I should have gone for the Cascadias, as they go down just below axle level........I'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

Fenders 93% attached (had to fab the 2 rear supports)
Depending on ride distance/difficulty, I have several gears ready to swap in an instant: 16t free(daily gear)/18t free, 18t free/17t fixed, or 18t/20t free/free for the big ones. Steve's Brooks saddle is off after several rides with no satisfaction....guess that model doesn't suit my fat ass. I do want to try another, but unsure of which to go for next. Enjoying the cockpit & brakes set-up lots: Woodchipper bar & Salsa gel tape, Tektro levers & Avid cantis. I had Steve's Paul cantis on at first, which were a PITA to set up, but these Shorty6s are a dream - both to maintain & their efficiency in slowing down my mass.
The frame feels good, but for my size, I need tubes that a touch bigger, as I can flex it a bit if I stand up & hammer. When I do get on it, the bike does go well. I'm still not completely comfortable with the feel that the bent setastays give, but I'm getting there.

Took it out for another spin last week: to GBP for the grand opening, then detoured thru Highlands before heading home. GBP was going on with a bunch of jumpin', hootin' & hollerin'. Great job to all involved!!

 


It's Nov 5 & it may hit close to 80°f tomorrow in Denver, CO. 
Pint-to-Pinters, it's gonna be a hot one! Stay hydrated & hard.........
Let'em know what's up.
Oh yeah, there's word of some big roadie race next August. I'll be out there somewhere between Golden & Denver on the 28th - better find me some XXL speedos right quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment